MONTEGO BAY — Sandals Resorts International won big at the 29th Annual World Travel Awards Caribbean & The Americas Gala, which this year returned to an in-person format at Sandals Montego Bay.
The awards, which took place on Aug. 31, marked a full-circle celebration at Sandals’ first-ever property, which was also awarded ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort 2022.’ In total, Sandals Resorts International (SRI), which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, took home 14 awards, including the coveted ‘Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand’ for the 29th year in a row. New pursuits, including Sandals’ first-ever resort in the Dutch Caribbean, Sandals Royal Curaçao, was awarded with ‘Curaçao’s Leading All-Inclusive Resort,’ while the reimagined Sandals Royal Bahamian, which debuted in January 2022, was named ‘Bahamas’ Leading All-Inclusive Resort.’
“It’s immensely gratifying, humbling and surreal to be celebrating the amazing strides we have made on this journey to immerse our beloved guests in the most beautiful corners of the Caribbean – and to be a part of those special moments that make travel so magical,” said Adam Stewart, Executive Chairman of SRI. “Forty years ago, my father had a dream that he made real right here, at Sandals Montego Bay, our first resort. Witnessing the evolution of our industry over the decades and what we have accomplished together, as one – now that deserves to be celebrated and for that we are all winners.”
A first-of-its-kind special award was also presented to SRI for its ‘Outstanding Contribution to the Hospitality & Tourism Industry.’ The tribute was a celebratory nod to the company’s influence on the industry throughout its 40-year-history, through programs like the ’40 for 40 Initiative’ and ‘Future Goals,’ a program that turns fishing nets sourced from the ocean and recycled plastic waste into soccer goals for children in Curaçao.
“This recognition is nothing if not a testament to our Sandals Resorts family – our 15,000 team members – and the fierce passion, intention and genuine love we put into all we do,” added Stewart. “From moving the needle on the guest experience to sustaining a link between tourism and its power to transform lives, what we’ve built here goes far beyond a resort company. It’s the Sandals Resorts legacy.
“Tonight is proof that the challenges of yesterday should never define the possibilities of tomorrow. That is the essence of innovation, the idea that better is always within reach. And we have never been more excited for the future.”
The 14 awards that were won by Sandals Resorts International include the following:
- Bahamas’ Leading All-Inclusive Resort: Sandals Royal Bahamian
- Caribbean’s Leading Honeymoon Resort: Sandals South Coast, Jamaica
- Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand: Sandals Resorts International
- Caribbean’s Leading Luxury All-Inclusive Resort: Sandals Grenada
- Caribbean’s Leading Resort: Sandals Royal Barbados
- Caribbean’s Most Romantic Resort: Sandals Grande Antigua
- Caribbean’s Leading All-Inclusive Family Resort: Beaches Turks & Caicos
- Curaçao’s Leading All-Inclusive Resort: Sandals Royal Curaçao
- Grenada’s Leading Resort: Sandals Grenada
- Jamaica’s Leading All-Inclusive Family Resort: Beaches Negril
- Jamaica’s Leading Resort: Sandals Montego Bay
- Outstanding Contribution to Caribbean Hospitality & Tourism: Sandals Resorts International
- St Lucia’s Leading All-Inclusive Resort: Sandals Grande St. Lucian
- St Lucia’s Leading Resort: Sandals Grande St. Lucian
Sandals Resorts’ sister company, Island Routes Caribbean Adventure, also won the ‘Caribbean’s Leading Adventure Tour Operator’ award, recognized for its adventures across 13 destinations.
For more information on the World Travel Awards go to www.worldtravelawards.com.
To read Travelweek’s special 40th anniversary edition of Sandals Resorts International, click here.