TORONTO — Puerto Rico has everything a travel agent needs to plan the perfect trip for clients, including direct flights, training resources and accommodations that offer up to 15% commission.
The destination highlighted all of its top selling points at a special lunch in Toronto on June 27, hosted by Discover Puerto Rico. According to Eilish Vicencio-Heap, Marketing Specialist at Reach Global, which represents Discover Puerto Rico in Canada, among the top reasons to visit are the weather, the local culture and its thriving culinary scene.
“One of the reasons why people love us is the gastronomic culture and food scene, not the mention the museums and historic sites, the shopping, beaches and outdoor adventure,” said Vicencio-Heap. “Earlier this year, Time magazine ranked Puerto Rico as one of the world’s greatest places to visit in 2023, while Glamour magazine deemed it one of the 25 best romantic weekend getaways for couples – and there are many more accolades where that came from.”
Making it easy for travellers to experience Puerto Rico for themselves are seasonal direct flights with Air Transat and Air Canada from Toronto and Montreal, as well as convenient connections through gateways like New York City, Miami and Philadelphia.
Once there, travel agents can book their clients at a range of top hotels that offer 12%-15% commission, including Rincon Beach Resort, Royal Sonesta San Juan, Fairmont El San Juan, Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico, and TRYP By Wyndham Isla Verde.
To assist agents, Vicencio-Heap noted that Discover Puerto Rico’s travel agent website is a widely used resource for free travel planning. Agents can find a useful business directory, sign up for a newsletter, view webinars and also submit an RFP or contact Group Sales for upcoming groups. Agents can also complete a Travel Agent Certification Program to become an expert in travel to Puerto Rico.
“You’re going to hear a lot more about Puerto Rico and all of the things that people should see and do,” said Charmaine Singh, President and CEO of Reach. “You don’t need to be in an all-inclusive environment in Puerto Rico to live the passion and energy of Puerto Rico. This is real travel, real adventure and real experiences in the Caribbean.”
Singh also noted that “we have a huge opportunity to sell Puerto Rico to Canadians” as the destination has found that Canadians “have no problems connecting through the United States to get there.”
Travel agents and media at the lunch learned about several new hotels and accommodation options that have opened or are in the pipeline in Puerto Rico. These include:
- Don Rafa Hotel: Located in San Juan, this boutique hotel is situated in a prime location near Condado Beach and within close proximity to Old San Juan and all its bars and restaurants.
- The HiBird Hotel: Also in San Juan, this contemporary property incorporates elements of both traditional hotels and co-living spaces, and offers a diverse range of accommodations including private rooms and shared suites of 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedrooms, plus collaborative workspaces and communal areas.
- Madre Tierra Glamping: This eco retreat is located close to Cabo Rojo’s beaches near San Juan. It features stylishly designed tents equipped with cozy beds, modern amenities and private outdoor spaces and offers outdoor activities like hiking and birdwatching. It’s also sustainable, incorporating solar power and water conservation measures.
- Finca Bee Happy: This eco-friendly establishment features comfortable accommodations with a rustic charm, with an emphasis on sustainability and nature. The hotel is known for its beekeeping activities, farm-to-table dining experiences and outdoor activities like hiking and birdwatching.
- Parguera Plaza Hotel: Located in the coastal town of La Parguera, situated near the renowned bioluminescent bay and pristine beaches, this hotel offers convenient access to the region’s natural attractions. It boasts spacious rooms, a swimming pool and on-site dining options.
For more information on travel to Puerto Rico, go to https://www.discoverpuertorico.com/.