TORONTO — Key tourism regions in the D.R. – notably Punta Cana and Samana – are seeing a boost both in visitor numbers and development dollars.
Punta Cana is seeing a 20% increase in tourism each year, while on the north coast Samana is taking advantage of a $1 million investment in its tourism product.
Samana has seen an increase in demand since 2011, with hotel occupancy topping 78.7% in 2015.
Here’s the latest resort news from the island:
- Northern Punta Cana is now home to the new, all-inclusive Excellence El Carmen, the second hotel in the D.R. for the Excellence Group. The hotel will boast 12 international and seafood restaurants.
- Santo Domingo InterContinental hotel had its soft opening last month. The hotel has 21 floors, offering 227 rooms, underground parking, eight meeting rooms and a large ballroom. This is the second Real Hotels & Resorts location in the D.R.
- This November the new Bahia Principe Fantasia, part of the ultra-luxe Don Pablo Collection, is set to open in Punta Cana. Bahia Principe already has several hotels in the D.R. including Ambar, Bavaro, Esmeralda, Punta Cana and Turquesa.
- Hodelpa Hotel has acquired the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando and has rebranded the historical hotel as Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando. The hotel was previously operated as an MGallery hotel by AccorHotels. The Nicolas de Ovando overlooks the Ozama River and is located in the historic palace of Santo Domingo’s first colonial time governor.
- More adults-only Hotel options are coming to Punta Cana and Samana as well as Puerto Plata. Due to a “significant rise” in inbound adult visitors, the D.R. is catering to this growing demographic with the addition of six new adult-only hotels, as well as the addition of adult-only sections to four previously existing properties.