TORONTO — TICO is advising consumers who have been impacted by the closure of Interjet Airlines on next steps.
Operating out of Mexico, the airline ceased operations on Dec. 11, 2020 and was declared bankrupt on April 10, 2023.
Consumers who purchased their Interjet Airlines travel services from a registered Ontario travel agency or booking website, and did not receive their travel services due to the closure of the airline, may file a claim from the Compensation Fund for reimbursement.
Claims can be requested here or by contacting TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a legislated six-month filing deadline for claims on the Compensation Fund. The filing deadline date is Oct. 11, 2023. Claims received by TICO after the filing deadline will not be valid.
Filing a claim against the Compensation Fund
Legislation requires claimants to explore all other possible options for reimbursement as part of the claims process. Claimants must complete the following steps prior to filing a claim against the Compensation Fund:
- Contact their credit card company and dispute the Interjet Airlines charge and request a refund (credit/reversal of the charge on their account).
- If their credit card company refuses to provide them with a credit refund, they will be required to obtain a letter from the credit card company stating that a credit refund will not be provided.
- The letter from the credit card company must be submitted with their claim against the Compensation Fund.
- If they are unable to obtain a refund (chargeback) from their credit card company or obtain all the documentation required to substantiate their claim in a timely manner, they can submit their claim form to TICO prior to the filing deadline date.
- Any additional documentation that is required to complete the claim can be sent to TICO when it is obtained.
For consumers who have a future travel credit or travel voucher issued by Interjet Airlines that has not been redeemed, note that unredeemed credits, vouchers or similar documents issued by an airline are not eligible for reimbursement from the Compensation Fund.
For those who purchased Interjet Airlines travel services from a travel agency located outside of Ontario or directly from Interjet Airlines, there is no provision under Ontario Regulation 26/05 of the Travel Industry Act, 2002 for a consumer to claim on the Compensation Fund when they purchased travel services from a travel agency outside of Ontario or directly from the supplier.
For more information about the Compensation Fund, click here.