MONTREAL — Air Transat has announced that its lowest‑priced fare, Eco Budget, will no longer include a free checked bag or the possibility to make changes or cancellations, as part of a policy change the carrier says aligns its flexibility conditions with those of the airline industry.
The company says it is standardizing its Eco Fares for its transatlantic, South, Canadian and U.S. destinations.
Passengers booking an Eco Budget as of Oct. 2, 2018, for flights as of April 1, 2019, will be charged a fee for their first piece of checked baggage of 23 kg (for Europe) or 30 kg (for Israel).
Here’s a look at the new conditions for Air Transat’s Eco Fares:
Eco Budget (‘The lowest fare’)
- No changes or cancellations
- No checked bag included
Eco Standard (‘The best value’)
- Changes and cancellations with fees
- One checked bag included
- Free standard seat selection
Eco Flex (‘The fare with the most flexibility’)
- Changes and cancellations for free
- Two checked bags included
- Priority services at the airport
- Any seat selection, based on availability
Travellers can save up to 20% on airport check-in fees by paying in advance online, adds the airline.
The revised baggage fees based on destination and time of payment are:
Flight-only baggage fees for Europe and Israel
- First bag (prepaid): 23 kg (30 kg for Israel), $55
- First bag (at the airport): 23 kg (30 kg for Israel), $70
- Second bag: 23 kg (30 kg for Israel), $100
Flight-only baggage fees for South, U.S. and flights within Canada
- First bag (prepaid): 23 kg, $25
- First bag (at the airport): 23 kg, $30
- Second bag (prepaid): 23 kg, $40
- Second bag (at the airport): 23 kg, $50
Earlier this month Transat A.T. posted its Q3 2018 results, with a $4 million Q3 loss. Revenues for the quarter totaled $696.6 million.
Airlines around the world have been hit hard by soaring fuel costs and several carriers, including most of the major U.S. carriers as well as Air Canada and WestJet have responded with higher checked baggage fees.
In August both Air Canada and WestJet announced they are upping their fees for both the first checked bag (from $25 to $30) and the second checked bag (from $30 to $50).