WILLEMSTAD — More travellers are discovering Curacao – and more hotel and resort companies too.
The small but increasingly popular Caribbean island has seen a surge of new and re-branded hotel developments recently, and more flights.
Here’s a look at the new and coming resorts and hotels …
- In early 2021, Sandals Resorts International announced that it will transform the current Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort into Sandals Royal Curacao. Set to begin in late 2021, the transformation will initially include 350-luxurious rooms and suites stretched along the Spanish Water Bay and the Caribbean Sea, with further expansion planned in the coming years. Conceptual plans for the resort include adding key elements for the signature Sandals experience, including new expansive pools, a variety of dining options, lavish accommodations, and newly constructed River Suites. Guests will also have access to the neighboring 18-hole Pete Dye championship golf course, two onsite marinas and a 38,000-square-feet indoor and outdoor event and meeting space – the largest on the island upon completion. Bookings are open now and the resort will debut April 14, 2022.
- In May 2021, Kunuku Aqua Resort became a part of the Trademark Collection by Wyndham portfolio, a collection of soft-branded upper-midscale and above hotels that maintain their independent spirit and individuality. The family-friendly resort with an on-site water park offers a total of 24 apartments, along with 189 rooms. The resort is currently undergoing exterior and interior upgrades, including all rooms and apartments, set to be completed in 2022.
- In June 2021 Hilton announced the signing of the newly opened Mangrove Beach Corendon Curaçao Resort as the newest property to join its Curio Collection by Hilton portfolio. Owned by Corendon Group, the all-inclusive resort is expected to convert in September 2021 and will re-establish Hilton’s presence on the island. In its next chapter as a Curio Collection property, Mangrove Beach Corendon Curaçao Resort will offer curated experiences for adventurous travelers, while also catering for those in search of a tranquil Caribbean retreat.
- This growth and development comes on the heels of renovations and openings on the island of three additional global brands in late 2019 and early 2020, including Curacao Marriott Beach Resort, Dreams Curacao Resort, Spa and Casino and Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino.
FLIGHTS FROM CANADA
Direct flights to Curacao are available from both Toronto (YYZ) and Montreal (YUL) starting in fall 2021.
Air Canada’s weekly service from Toronto will resume on Oct. 1, with a second weekly flight planned for Mondays starting Dec. 20.
WestJet will also begin operating weekly Sunday flights from Toronto starting Oct. 31.
From Montreal, Air Canada will operate twice per week on Mondays and Wednesdays as of Dec. 13, 2021.
Curacao has been welcoming international visitors since Jan. 1, 2021. The island’s entry requirements and safety protocols have adapted to coincide with the evolving travel environment.
To enter the country, travellers must complete the below mandatory steps via www.dicardcuracao.com:
1. Complete the digital immigration card online before departure.
2. Digitally, fill out the Passenger Locator Card (PLC) 48 hours prior to departure and carry a printed document of proof with you.
3. Each visitor entering Curacao will need to show a negative result from a certified COVID-19 PCR-test taken at most 72 hours before your flight to Curacao or a negative result from an antigen test taken at most 24 hours before your flight to Curacao. You will need to carry a printed document of proof with you. You will be required to upload the negative test results of the COVID-19 PCR-test on dicardcuracao.com before departure.
4. 3rd day on-island Antigen test. All passengers departing from low-risk, high-risk or very high-risk countries are required to undergo an antigen test at a local laboratory on the third day in Curacao. The reservation and payment of the third day antigen test is part of the PLC process.
More information on entry conditions and travel updates is available at curacao.com.