TORONTO — For the second year in a row ACTA’s AGM was a virtual event, presided over by Mary Jane Hiebert CTC, Chair of the ACTA Board of Directors.
ACTA’s year-end results allowed the organization to manage the anticipated losses in 2021 and as government subsidies wind down, ACTA President Wendy Paradis says ACTA will work closely with the Board Finance Committee to ensure that ACTA continues to be sustainable into 2022 and beyond.
ACTA Treasurer Louise Gardiner presented the financial statements and Auditor’s Report for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020. The timing of the pandemic was such that ACTA had already collected the majority of revenue from membership and partnerships. In addition the ACTA board worked with ACTA management to make strategic decisions to effectively manage priorities and resources to better position the organization in the months and years ahead.
At the end of 2020, the decision was made to not renew the office lease, and two staff positions were eliminated. ACTA was eligible for wage and rent subsidies which reduced expenses.
At the June 23 AGM Hiebert thanked ACTA’s current board of directors for continuing to serve for an extended term while the travel industry copes with the ongoing COVID-19 challenges.
Hiebert also thanked outgoing directors André Desmarais, Andrew Enns, Eric Holenka and Michael Thompson.
Members voted on the nine positions available to the Board of Directors and the newly elected Board of Directors appointed three positions, to round out the 12-person Board.
Here’s a look at the ACTA Board of Directors for the year 2021-2022:
- Mary Jane Hiebert CTC – Chair, representing Manitoba/Nunavut region
- Liz Fleming – Vice Chair, representing British Columbia/Yukon region
- Louise Gardiner CTM, – Treasurer, Director at Large
- Peter Keyter, representing Alberta/Northwest Territories region
- Karen Schabel CTM, representing Saskatchewan region
- Mike Foster CTC, representing Ontario region
- Stéphane Corbeil, representing Québec region
- Glenda Hunter CTM, representing Atlantic region
- Richard Vanderlubbe, Director at Large
- Patrick Doyle, Appointed
- Monica Johnstone CTC, Appointed
- Brian Robertson, Appointed