TORONTO — Club Med has entered a period of major expansion with news that it plans to open 17 new resorts by the year 2024.
The new properties come on the heels of four recent resort openings in 2021: Club Med Québec Charlevoix (Canada), Club Med Seychelles (Africa), Club Med Lijiang (China), and Club Med La Rosière (French Alps). The brand also completed four renovations, including Club Med Albion (Mauritius), Club Med Peisey-Vallandry (French Alps), Club Med Pragelato-Sestriere (Italian Alps) and Club Med Marrakech (Morocco).
According to Carolyn Doyon, President & CEO of Club Med North America and the Caribbean, the company has remained focused on growth and expansion despite the global impact of the pandemic.
“Throughout our 72-year history, we’ve successfully adapted our portfolio to appeal to upscale travellers and families, as well as demonstrated our leadership in the all-inclusive mountain experience,” said Doyon. “Maintaining our ambitious expansion plan, we are on track to open 17 new resorts, as well as complete 13 renovations or extensions of existing resorts by 2024.”
- Club Med Utah, opening in Snowbasin, Utah in December 2024, will be an Exclusive Collection (5-star), four-season resort with 320 rooms. This marks the brand’s first new resort in the United States in more than 20 years, as well as its first-ever Exclusive Collection mountain resort in North America.
- Club Med Tignes, French Alps will open December 2022 in Tignes Val Claret, a natural sports paradise where Club Med has called home since 1958. The resort will feature 430 rooms, including 25 Exclusive Collection suites, two restaurants, a full spa and wellness salt wall, the largest Club Med pool in the Alps, a full childcare program and a ski domain suitable for every level.
- Club Med Val d’Isère, French Alps will open in December 2022 in the Tarentaise Valley, at an altitude of 1,850 metres. The resort is undergoing a complete transformation to meet Exclusive Collection status. As such, it will be the brand’s first entirely 5-star mountain resort, with a total of 216 rooms available for booking in winter and summer.
- Club Med San Sicario, Italian Alps will open December 2024 as a new addition to Club Med’s mountain portfolio in the Italian Alps. The bi-seasonal resort will feature 200 rooms located on a prime ski location from the 2006 Turin Olympics.
- Club Med Pragelato-Sestriere, Italian Alps will undergo an expansion this year that includes 17 new chalets housing 105 new rooms.
- Club Med Gregolimano, Greece, one of the brand’s flagship summer resorts in the Mediterranean Basin, will undergo both a renovation and extension in 2023 that includes newly renovated beachfront bungalows.
- Club Med Phuket, Thailand, located on Kata Beach, will debut refreshed facilities and experiences in 2023-2024. It will also debut a redesign of main spaces.
- Club Med Hokkaido, Japan will open its doors in 2023 as Club Med’s third property on the northern island of Hokkaido. Hokkaido is known for its powdered snow, perfect for skiing and trekking.
- Club Med Borneo Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, opening in 2024, will be a new-build resort on the Malaysian side of the island of Borneo, known for its beaches and rainforest.
NEW PRODUCT & EXPERIENCES
- Club Med is enhancing its existing teen programming, Club Med Passworld for teens ages 11-17, with social-forward events. The pilot program is launching this spring in Club Med Punta Cana and Club Med Michès Esmeralda.
- Club Med Punta Cana will debut Circus School by Club Med, an acrobatic playground with activities like flying trapeze, tightrope walking and aerial silk.
- New and/or upgraded pickleball courts will debut in all resorts in Florida, the Caribbean and the Pacific Coast of Mexico
- Club Med Amazing Family Program featuring weekly activities launched in all resorts across Florida, the Caribbean and Mexico
- Club Med Spa by Sothys opened in three resorts, including Club Med Sandpiper Bay, Club Med Québec Charlevoix, and Club Med Ixtapa Pacific.
- All-day yoga programming is now available in Club Med Michè Playa Esmeralda and Club Med Québec Charlevoix, with planned expansion to other North American resorts.
- The ‘sunset ritual,’ a weekly lifestyle experience on the beach, debuted in Club Med Québec Charlevoix, with planned expansion to Club Med Cancun and Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
- New dining concepts have debuted at Club Med Sandpiper Bay (Lucky Lime), Club Med Michès Esmeralda (From Jungle to Table), Club Med Punta Cana (Altamar), and Club Med Québec Charlevoix (Le Chalet).
- In 2021 Club Med’s Easy Arrival contactless check-in/checkout service was deployed in all Club Med resorts in Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean. Through the app, guests can arrange childcare services or book ski equipment before they arrive to their resort.