MIAMI — Carnival Corp. has announced its cruise to Cuba will sail as planned after an agreement was reached with the Havana government allowing Cuban-born people to disembark on the island.
Carnival CEO Arnold Donald said in a news release Friday that the first cruise in over 50 years between the U.S. and Cuba will go forward May 1 from Miami. The 704-passenger Adonia of Carnival’s Fathom brand is scheduled to make the trip.
Donald said Carnival negotiated a change in Cuban policy, which previously prohibited Cuban-born people from departing from or arriving on the island by sea. Donald says now its cruise ships will be treated the same as aircraft.
Carnival originally adhered to Cuba’s policy by preventing Cuban exiles from booking passage on the cruise, sparking protest and a lawsuit.