It’s one thing to know that travel agent associations are lobbying the government on agents’ behalf. It’s another to actually hear it and see it in action.
LAS VEGAS — Two of Las Vegas’ biggest hotel brands are shuttering its properties on The Strip as a result of the growing global spread of COVID-19.
Wynn Resorts is temporarily closing Wynn Las Vegas and Encore, effective March 17 at 6 p.m., for two weeks, after which it will evaluate the situation. The company also announced it will set up thermal cameras at entrances to its buildings to screen for anyone running a fever.
Wynn Resorts said in a statement its “non-invasive” thermal cameras would allow it to flag any resort guest or staff member registering a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) or higher. It said those people will be “discretely informed” by security guards and won’t be allowed to remain in the property.
In a similar move, MGM Resorts’ operations in Las Vegas, including the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay, will be temporarily suspended, starting March 17. Casino operations will close at midnight on March 16. The company will resume taking reservations for arrivals beginning April 2.
MGM Resorts was also the first casino operator last week to announce it was temporarily closing its buffet restaurants; last Friday it also announced that it was closing day clubs and night clubs. Hours later, the company said it would also close spas, salons and fitness centres temporarily, starting Monday.
With file from The Associated Press