LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL — Walt Disney World Resort’s 50th anniversary will be a spectacle like no other, with new experiences that honour its past and embrace the future.
Oct. 1, 2021 will mark 50 years since Walt Disney first opened its doors in 1971 and will kickstart 18 months of celebrations at the resort’s four theme parks. At the heart of ‘The World’s Most Magical Celebration’ will be Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park, which following its 2020 makeover, will be dressed in new gold bunting, golden embellishments and a 50th anniversary crest.
Here are more highlights of anniversary celebrations:
- Disney Enchantment: The new nighttime spectacular will debut on Oct. 1 at Magic Kingdom Park and was created to launch with ‘The World’s Most Magical Celebration.’ It will feature music, enhanced lighting, stunning fireworks and, for the first time, immersive projection effects that extend from Cinderella Castle down Main Street, U.S.A.
- Harmonious at EPCOT: One of the largest nighttime spectaculars ever created for a Disney park, ‘Harmonious’ at EPCOT will join ‘Disney Enchantment’ on Oct. 1. The new show at World Showcase Lagoon will be a powerful tribute to the power of story and song, featuring new interpretations of classic Disney songs, pyrotechnics, fountains, lighting and media in numerous ways.
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure: The grand opening of Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure is set for Oct. 1. In this family-friendly attraction, guests will feel as if they’ve shrunk to the size of Chef Remy as they scurry through Gusteau’s famous restaurant. Also debuting Oct. 1 in this section of the pavilion will be La Crêperie de Paris, a new restaurant offering both table- and quick-service options such as sweet crepes, buckwheat galettes and authentic French hard cider.
- Beacons of Magic: As part of ‘The World’s Most Magical Celebration,’ icons at each Walt Disney World theme park will transform into Beacons of Magic at night, coming to life with their own EARidescent glow. The will include Cinderella Castile at Magic Kingdom, the Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom, the Hollywood Tower Hotel at Hollywood Studios, and Spaceship Earth at ECPOT.
- Disney KiteTails: ‘Disney KiteTailes’ at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park will come alive several times daily beginning Oct. 1 inside the Discovery River Amphitheater. Performers will fly windcatchers and kites of all shapes and sizes, while out on the water 3D kits – some stretching to 30 feet long – will depict Disney animal friends like Simba, Zazu and Baloo.
- Disney Fab 50 Sculptures: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto and Chip ‘n’ Dale will be part of a new collection of special golden character sculptures debuting Oct. 1 across the four Walt Disney World theme parks. There will be 50 characters featured overall and guests will be able to interact with them in surprising ways as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.
- New threads for the occasion: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto and Chip ‘n’ Dale will also be dressed in sparkling new looks, custom-made for the anniversary celebration. Mickey and Minnie will host ‘The World’s Most Magical Celebration’ and will be joined by their friends, all of whom will be wearing new EARidescent nametags.