TORONTO — If you were to compile a list of the world’s most popular travel experiences, what would it include? Seeing the Eiffel Tower in Paris for sure, and touring Rome’s Colosseum is also another obvious pick. But neither of these indisputable tourist draws ranked first on TripAdvisor’s list of the world’s most popular experiences in 2017.
The winner? A skip-the-line pass for the Vatican Museums with St. Peter’s, Sistine Chapel and Small-Group Upgrade.
According to the booking site’s 2018 Experiential Travel Trends report, this tour hosted by City Wonders earned the most number of bookings in 2017, beating out a Chicago Architecture River Cruise (#2), a skip-the-line pass for Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour (#3), Rome Hop-On, Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour (#4), and a priority access pass for the Barcelona Sagrada Familia Tour (#5).
With City Wonders’ tour, which starts at just Can$97.22, guests can skip the lines of up to four hours at the Vatican Museums. They will also visit Raphael’s Rooms, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica all while listening to the guide’s commentary through a personal headset.
Here is the complete top 10 list of the world’s most popular experiences in 2017:
- Skip the line: Vatican Museums, St Peter’s, Sistine Chapel
- Chicago Architecture River Cruise
- Skip the line: Ancient Rome and Colosseum Half-Day Walking Tour
- Rome Hop-On, Hop-Off Sightseeing Tour
- Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada Familia Tour
- Eiffel Tower Summit: Priority access with host
- Warner Bros Studio: The Making of Harry Potter with Luxury Round-Trip Transport from London
- Empire State Building Tickets
- Murano, Burano, and Torcello half-day sightseeing tour
- Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour