All eyes were on the newest member of Air Canada’s fleet, the Airbus A220-300, at the aircraft’s official debut at Air Canada’s headquarters.
RIVIERA MAYA — RIU Hotels & Resorts has wrapped up a year full of major projects with the complete refurbishment of Riu Palace Riviera Maya in Playa del Carmen.
The five-star beachfront hotel has overhauled its outside areas, communal areas and rooms. Post-refurbishment it boasts 460 rooms, four swimming pools, six restaurants, five bars and an extended range of entertainment options for both adults and kids.
Following the refurbishment of Riu Vallarta (Riviera Nayarit) and the extension of Riu Emerald Bay (Mazatlán), the refurbishment of Riu Palace Riviera Maya is the chain’s third largest project in Mexico this year, a country in which RIU has 20 hotels and over 23,000 rooms.
On what he thinks of the finished product, Luis Riu, CEO of RIU Hotels & Resorts, said: “I am very satisfied with the results of this $40 million refit. I believe that even the most loyal of clients to this hotel will appreciate the new style and the extended services. Their satisfaction is what drives all of our efforts,”
Riu Palace Riviera Maya’s refurbishment caps off the renovation of the six RIU hotels in Playa del Carmen, added Riu. “It is the icing on the cake of a year full of great challenges that we have taken on in the Maldives and Madrid.”
Here’s an overview of Riu Palace Riviera Maya’s top features:
• The exclusive 24-hour All-Inclusive RIU Service, which allows guests to enjoy food and drink at any time of day, as well as call on room service
• Rooms have been stripped of their slab tiles and carpets and laid with ceramic parquet flooring
• The buffet in restaurants have been separated from the tables for greater guest comfort
• Dining options include the Italian restaurant ‘Il Portico’; ‘Don Rafael’, the main international cuisine live-cooking restaurant; the Japanese restaurant ‘Yashima’; the Mexican ‘Agave’ restaurant’, ‘Chilis’, the pool restaurant’, ‘Krystal’, which offers fusion dishes; and ‘Pepe’s Food’, the grill bar in the swimming pool area
• All bars now boast new facilities, including Lounge 24, the Lobby bar, and pool and theatre bars
• There’s a new café/ice cream parlour called ‘Capuchino’
• The pool area now sports three large pools, one of which features a swimup bar
• RiuLand has been fully renovated with a children’s pool with slides and water games
• The new RiuFit area offers the best sporting activities and is run by specially-trained staff
• All guests staying at the resort enjoy free entry into the Riu Party events held at Riu Tequila, less than a kilometre away
RIU resorts are offered exclusively in Canada by Sunwing Vacations.