TORONTO — Agents, suppliers and media partners got the latest updates on Melia Hotels International Cuba’s resorts post-Hurricane Irma at last night’s appreciation dinner, including news about the projected opening date for the new Paradisus Cayo Santa Maria.
Brenda Bradley, Sales Executive for Melia Hotels International Cuba in Canada, went through the company’s portfolio resort by resort. Here are the latest status reports:
- Paradisus Varadero has been open since Nov. 15, says Bradley. The entire property is open. The Royal Service section is now 18+, so families can book into Family Concierge.
- The team at Melia Las Americas’ wants agents to know that the golf course is fine and has been open for the last four weeks. Melia Marina Varadero had no damage at all.
- With so many flights into Cayo Largo, Melia Cuba hopes that many vacationers will stay at Sol Cayo Largo. “This was not so popular with the Ontario market, but Sol Cayo Largo is coming up really quick,” says Bradley, adding the Cayo Largo is “becoming one of the most popular and sought-out destination in Cuba.”
- Sol Cayo Santa Maria received a brand new lobby, which is now all-white, as well as a new bar, pool area, and restaurant on the beach. “Some of the palm trees were knocked over but with the help of the Cuban people, they put it all back together and you would never know there was any damage at all,” says Bradley.
- Paradisus Princess Del Mar is an adults-only resort that offers Royal Service. The Royal Service option is available both with the swim-out rooms and the one-bedrooms on top of the hill.
- “Melia Las Dundas was missing three-quarters of the roof on the restaurant down by the beach. On the day I left, it was all done except for about 20 feet. So the power they put behind this to get us back into Cuba is amazing,” says Bradley.
- Melia Buena Vista has new palapas and the beach is beautiful, she says. “This was the most heartbreaking one for me. Because it was on the peninsula and right on the point, there was nothing left. Now after the hurricane, some of the trees are missing leaves but other than that we’re in pretty good shape.”
- Sol Cayo Coco has been open since Oct. 17 and has received new paint and interior redecoration.
- Melia Jardines Del Rey is a very popular hotel for the company, says Bradley. The beach at this resort has been extended and the palapas are back up.
- Melia Cayo Coco is ready to receive guests and has been cleaned up.
- Sol Cayo Guillermo has been refreshed and repainted.
- Melia Cayo Guillermo “has gone from one colour to another beautiful white colour. It has been updated and cleaned up,” including the landscaping.
Bradley says the new Paradisus Cayo Santa Maria, originally scheduled to open by the end of 2018, may be delayed until all existing properties are back up and in order.
“The Cuban government and hotel owners as a group said any construction on new properties must stop” while existing resorts are fixed up first. “Once we get everyone up and running, that is when we will go back and finish what we started,” says Bradley.