TORONTO — Though Sandals Resorts International didn’t invent the all-inclusive concept with its first resort in Jamaica back in 1981, it is largely credited with perfecting it. Since the debut of ...
CANCUN — Quintana Roo is sounding the all-clear following a lashing from Hurricane Delta, which made landfall Oct. 7 starting at 5:30 a.m.
The storm arrived near Puerto Morelos at a weakened Category 2 strength and had further weakened to Category 1 by 5 p.m.
No serious damage or deaths have been reported so far, and international airports in Cancun and Cozumel are set to resume operations today, Oct. 8, says the Quintana Roo Tourism Board.
All of Quintana Roo’s municipalities (Tulum, Solidaridad, Cozumel, Puerto Morelos, Benito Juárez, Isla Mujeres, Lázaro Cárdenas, José María Morelos, Othón P. Blanco, Felipe Carrillo Puerto and Bacalar) are at the ‘Yellow Alert’ level. This level reflects reduced risk but the ongoing need to remain vigilant and take precautions as the storm continues to bring wind and rain throughout the region.
Ahead of the storm, the Government of the State of Quintana Roo, working with the State Civil Protection Department, implemented the official protocols and preventive measures necessary to safeguard the well-being of the population and all visitors.
All tourists in the state (nationals and foreigners) can download the ‘Guest Assist‘ app (available on iOS and Android) to request any type of assistance or information during such situations.
The tourism board notes that the ‘Guest Locator‘ technological platform was also enabled ahead of the storm, available to embassies and consulates that request it.
Most tourists have already been able to return to their hotels, however people are still being asked to take the necessary precautions and follow the instructions and recommendations by the State Civil Protection and the Government of the State of Quintana Roo.
The Quintana Roo Tourism Board says it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates and information if needed.