TORONTO — When the design team asked Hôtel Le Crystal’s VP and General Manager Eric Hamel what sort of vision he had for the Montreal property’s upcoming reno, he went into his office and came back with a blank sheet of white paper.
“’What’s this?’ they asked. I told them we wanted a completely fresh start,” said Hamel. “From there we created the new Hôtel Le Crystal.”
With a prime spot on Rue de la Montagne at Boulevard René-Lévesque, Hôtel Le Crystal had what every hotel needs – a great location, close to Rue Ste.-Catherine with its legendary boutiques and restaurants, and a block from the Centre Bell. Now, at 11 years old, it needed a makeover too.
Hamel said the new look is bright, light and airy, a much-needed contrast from the dark aesthetic so often seen in high-end hotels these days. The renovation is just about complete. “We started work in November 2018 and on April 26, 2019 it will be complete,” he told media yesterday at an industry lunch at Toronto’s Sassafraz restaurant.
The look is high-end, but approachable, says Valerie Marchand, Hôtel Le Crystal’s Sales & Marketing Director. “We are a five-star hotel but we want to be five-star in a casual, welcoming way,” says Marchand. “It’s very important to have guests feel very comfortable as soon as they walk in the lobby.”
That attention to comfort extends to the suites, where all the beds are king beds, and every suite has a kitchenette. The hotel has 131 suites with a minimum size of 495 spacious square feet. For both corporate and leisure travellers – the hotel’s clientele is a mix – the renovations included the installation of seven USB ports in each suite.
Junior suites come complete with a pullout sofa and even include bathrobes for children. There are new high-end Bose multi-function sound system and bathroom amenities provided by eco-friendly Quebec supplier Oneka, which the Hôtel Le Crystal were the first to feature. Room linens have also all been refreshed.
“As an independent hotel, we can cater to both the business and leisure traveller with our own innovative ideas and thoughtful inclusions,” says Hamel. “Not only are its founders Montrealers, but we have a policy of hiring locally and supporting local producers.” The hotel also features 6,000 square feet of meeting space, making it as popular with corporate event planners as with wedding groups.
The new accommodation categories at Hôtel Le Crystal include:
- THE LOFT SUITE (56 in all): Airy and with a downtown vibe, ideal for business travellers or couples
- JUNIOR SUITE (14): An excellent choice for families, comprising a cozy bedroom for the parents with a sitting area featuring a large sofa-bed for the children
- THE LOFT SUITE WITH 2 KING (14): Perfect for two colleagues or friends who desire the absolute in individual comfort
- THE CRYSTAL SUITE (7): The signature suite, sure to delight and surprise with its bold design, massive bay window and latest technology
- THE EXECUTIVE SUITE (7): Featuring a fireplace and a balcony, this suite is perfect for couples looking for a romantic, elegant escape
- THE PENTHOUSES (5): The Penthouses are ideal for guests who are looking for the ultimate in the Crystal Experience. Situated on the 11th floor, the Penthouses offer unequalled views of the city as well as lovely terraces, perfect for Montreal’s sultry summer nights.
Along with the renovations Hôtel Le Crystal has also introduced new packages themed for Families, Romance and Long Weekends. See hotellecrystal.com for more details.