Nearly 30 new luxury hotels on tap for Marriott International next year
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
CANNES, FRANCE — Marriott International, Inc. is poised for major growth in 2017 after doubling its portfolio of luxury hotels through the recent merger with Starwood Hotels & Resorts.
The Marriott International Luxury Brands group now includes the iconic St. Regis, The Luxury Collection and W Hotels brands, in addition to The Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Bulgari Hotels & Resorts, EDITION and JW Marriott hallmarks.
Looking ahead, the company is scheduled to open nearly 30 luxury hotels in 2017, and has a total of 180 luxury hotels in its development pipeline, representing 20 new countries from Iceland and Nepal to Cuba.
“Spanning the world from the most iconic hot spots to the ultimate undiscovered gems, the unmatched breadth and depth of our luxury portfolio uniquely positions us to cater to the increased demand of the rapidly-expanding cadre of affluent travelers,” said Tina Edmundson, Global Brand Officer, Marriott International. “With luxury travel up nearly 50% over the past five years, we see a long runway for growth at the high-end and have a world-class, dedicated luxury structure in place to nurture and strengthen this coveted portfolio of eight diverse luxury brands.”
Here’s what’s on tap for 2017:
- The Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis: The Ritz-Carlton, already with 92 hotels around the world, will open four properties in 2017, including The Ritz-Carlton, Langkawi and The Ritz-Carlton, Astana. St. Regis, with 38 hotels today and 21 in the pipeline, unveiled St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort in early November and is slated to debut in five destinations next year, including Shanghai, Changsha and Cairo.
- W Hotels: This brand recently celebrated the opening of W Punta de Mita and W Las Vegas, the latter being its 50th hotel. W Goa is set to debut on Dec. 12, with six more properties opening in 2017 in destinations like Tel Aviv, Panama City and Shanghai.
- EDITION: This brand most recently premiered The Sanya EDITION on Hainan Island in Southern China, its first hotel in Asia. It will debut additional properties in Bangkok and Barcelona by the end of 2017.
- The Luxury Collection: This brand comprises 102 hotels in more than 30 countries. It will continue to rapidly expand in 2017 with the opening of Hotel Inglaterra in Havana, Cuba, which will join the brand after a complete renovation. The Luxury Collection is also set to debut in nine destinations next year, including California’s Napa Valley, Singapore and Panama City.
- JW Marriott: With 79 hotels and resorts today in 27 countries, including the new JW Marriott Venice and JW Marriott Los Cabos, the brand is looking forward to the 2017 debut of JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa in Vietnam. Additionally, the brand will open JW Marriott Parq Vancouver by end of next year.