TORONTO — Walking trips are on the rise, says Intrepid Travel, which is why it has created a new range of walking tours along Europe’s most sought-after routes.
The new ‘Great Walks of Europe’ collection includes six sustainable treks led by highly qualified – and vaccinated – local leaders. Each trip includes stays at small family-run hotels and authentic style accommodations with minimal transport used, making them a more sustainable option while supporting local communities that have been impacted by the pandemic.
Trips depart from April 2022 onwards.
During the past 18 months, Intrepid has increased its portfolio of active trips in response to high demand for outdoor adventures and lower carbon-output trip styles. From May to July 2021 alone, visits to the company’s walking & trekking landing page doubled, while bookings for its walking tours by North American travellers went up 43% this summer compared to earlier in the year.
The Great Walks of Europe collection includes a mix of itineraries for various fitness levels and allows guests to skip some walks if they wish. The range also includes point-to-point hikes, which require guests to complete particular routes to get to the next destination.
The collection includes the following:
- Walk the Camino de Santiago (Spain): This seven-day itinerary, priced from $1,445 per person, journeys along the final 100km of Spain’s Camino de Santiago. Guests will walk through traditional countryside, quaint hamlets, roman ruins and more.
- Hike the Rota Vicentina (Portugal): This eight-day walk, priced from $2,074 per person, includes a fresh seafood lunch in the village of Zambujeira do Mar, a day at leisure in Alijezur and a hike to Cabo de Sao Vicente, mainland Europe’s southwestern-most point.
- Hiking in the Dolomites (Italy): While on this eight-day walk, priced from $2,011 per person, guests are based in the Italian town of Dobbiaco and spend each day exploring the Dolomite’s towering cliffs and emerald green lakes. Highlights include hiking the Three Peaks of Lavaredo loop, the Earth Pyramids of Platten and a gourmet picnic lunch on the edge of Toblacher See.
- Hike the Lycia Way (Turkey): Priced from $1,280 per person, this eight-day itinerary hikes along Turkey’s famous Turquoise Coast and the rocky trackso f the Lycian Way, a trail used in ancient Greek and Roman times. Guess will explore ancient Lycian tombs in Fethiye, visit Oludeniz’s Blue Lagoon and enjoy a boat ride from Simena to Kekova.
- Mont Blanc Highlights (France): Priced from $2,419 per person, this eight-day walk ventures through the Alps with an International Mountain Leader guiding the way. Guests can walk through the region’s best landscapes without the tiring climbs while soaking up views during a series of cable car rides.
- Hike the Tour due Mont Blanc (France, Italy, Switzerland): This eight-day itinerary, priced from $3,065 per person, highlights snow-capped peaks, lakes, glaciers and mountain pastures. While on a circuit route from Chamonix through Switzerland and Italy, guests will enjoy several included hikes and cable car rides.
As of September 2021, all travellers and tour leaders with Intrepid Travel must be vaccinated against COVID-19. Every trip operates under Safe Travel protocols developed and endorsed by the WTTC. Plus, travellers can book with confidence thanks to Intrepid’s flexible booking policy.
For more information go to www.intrepidtravel.com/theme/walking.