MAYAN RIVIERA — Guests at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum in Mexico’s Mayan Riviera were definitely feeling the heat over the weekend, not from the sun but from a large fire that broke out late Friday night.
A resort employee confirmed to Global News that the area was evacuated due to the fire, and that the resort resumed normal operations on Saturday. The resort also confirmed in a release that “the situation was kept under control at all times.”
No injuries were reported, while damage to the resort was “limited to material losses,” the statement said. The statement also noted that the fire started as a “result of an unfortunate short-circuit.”
Popular among Canadians, Grand Bahia Principe Tulum offers 978 rooms, three pools, five restaurants and seven bars. It is located approximately 100 kilometres from Cancun.