TORONTO — Contiki is encouraging Canadians to give the gift that keeps on giving – travel – through its newly launched ‘Gifter’ campaign, directed at those who purchase trips for their millennial loved ones.
Totalling 30% of Contiki’s bookings, ‘gifters’ consist of parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles and guardians of young Canadians. Youth and travel are inextricably linked as a rite of passage, says the company, and nothing quite prepares a young adult for full adulthood than that of travelling abroad solo for the first time.
“Travel is something that every young Canadian should have the opportunity to experience,” says Sheralyn Berry, Vice President of Sales for Contiki Canada. “Who doesn’t remember their first time travelling abroad alone for the first time? It’s exciting and terrifying at the same time. That’s why we are thrilled to be speaking to our ‘gifters’ and encouraging them to give the gift of travel to their millennial loved ones and leave the planning to us.”
The campaign highlights the many reasons why Contiki, the youth travel expert, is the right choice for their loved one’s first time abroad. It runs over 300 trips in 50-plus countries, and has eight different travel styles to choose from, plus a dedicated Contiki team who’s completed 66 days of training, regarded as the most arduous in the travel industry.
In addition, the new campaign will look to encourage new graduates to reward themselves with a trip of a lifetime before fully stepping into adulthood. The tradition of being employed right after graduation is being replaced with the realization that travelling the world can help one’s career goals. According to Contiki’s ‘The No Regrets List’ survey, one-third of Generation Z would rather take a gap year before heading to post secondary.
These are the top six best-selling itineraries highlighted in the campaign:
- ‘Italian Espresso’: From May 6-Sept. 23, includes Tuscany, Venice and Florence
- ‘Thai Island Hopper East’: From April 15-Sept. 16, includes Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan
- ‘Mediterranean Escape’: From May 13-Sept. 23, includes Rome, Amalfi Coast and Athens
- ‘Ireland’: 54 departures between April 2017 and march 2018, includes Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Belfast and more
- ‘Greek Island Hopping’: 49 departures between May and September 2017, includes Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Ios
- ‘Australia’s Beaches and Reefs’: 30 departures between May 2017 and September 2018, includes Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane, Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Cairns and more