MISSISSAUGA — TICO has issued a closure advisory for The Travel Broker Group Inc., a travel agency located in Kingston, Ontario.
Also operating as The Travel Broker and Today’s Woman Traveller, the agency, which specialized in custom tours and group tours for women, terminated its registration under the Travel Industry Act, 2002, effective April 18, 2023.
Consumers who purchased travel services from The Travel Broker Group Inc. and who are in possession of their airline tickets are asked to contact the airline or airlines involved to confirm their travel arrangements. This includes consumers who began their travel prior to the closure of the travel agency and who may still be in destination.
Who can file a claim with the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund:
- Standard Claims: Consumers who have not travelled and/or have unredeemed future travel credits and/or an outstanding refund.
- Consumers who purchased future travel services from The Travel Broker Group Inc. and who do not have confirmed bookings, or have not received a refund for cancelled travel services, including due to the pandemic, or are holding unredeemed future travel credits may request a claim form here or by contacting TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email@example.com.
- Trip Completion Claims: Consumers who began their travel services prior to April 18, 2023, and are in destination.
- Consumers who incurred expenses in destination (transportation, accommodation and meals) to complete their travel plans due to travel services not provided as a result of the closure of The Travel Broker Group Inc. may have an eligible Trip Completion Claim. Consumers may request a claim form here or by contacting TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a legislated six-month filing deadline for claims on the Compensation Fund. The filing deadline date is Oct. 19, 2023. Claims received by TICO after the filing deadline will not be valid.
The legislation requires claimants to explore all other possible options for reimbursement as part of the claims process. Claimants who paid by credit card and who were charged by The Travel Broker Group Inc. for their travel services not provided, are required to do the following:
- Contact their credit card company and dispute The Travel Broker Group Inc. charge and request a refund (credit/reversal of the charge on their account).
- If their credit card company refuses to provide them with a credit refund, they will be required to obtain a letter from the credit card company stating that a credit refund will not be provided.
- The letter from the credit card company must be submitted with their claim against the Compensation Fund.
- If they are unable to obtain a refund (chargeback) from their credit card company or obtain all the documentation required to substantiate their claim in a timely manner, they can submit their claim form to TICO prior to the filing deadline date.
- Any additional documentation that is required to complete the claim can be sent to TICO when it is obtained.
If consumers have questions or require clarification after reviewing this closure advisory, they can contact TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241, or email email@example.com. TICO can review their circumstances and offer guidance on whether they may have an eligible claim against the Compensation Fund and whether their travel services are still available to be received.