TORONTO — Active Journeys Inc., which operated as both a travel retailer and travel wholesaler, has had its registration under the Ontario Travel Industry Act, 2002 revoked, as of Nov. 4, 2022.
According to TICO, the travel agency and tour operator, located in Etobicoke, Ontario, is no longer in business. It specialized in organizing biking, hiking, kayaking, rafting and multi-sport holidays in Asia, Africa, United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean and Southeast Asia.
TICO has provided the following guidelines for Ontario travel agencies that have booked clients on a tour through Active Journeys Inc., to assist them with claims against the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund:
Who can file a claim with the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund:
- Consumers who purchased their travel services directly from Active Journeys Inc. (Ontario registered travel retailer) and who have not travelled and/or have unredeemed future travel credits or an outstanding refund: Consumers who purchased travel services directly from Active Journeys Inc. and who have unredeemed future travel credits or have not received a refund for cancelled travel services may request a claim form from TICO. Please call 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consumers who purchased Active Journeys Inc. travel services through an Ontario registered travel agency (other than Active Journeys Inc.) and who have unredeemed future travel credits or have not received a refund for cancelled travel services should contact their travel agent for information and assistance. Consumers may also request a claim form from TICO against the Compensation Fund. Please call 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email email@example.com.
- Consumers who purchased Active Journeys Inc. travel services from a travel agency located outside of Ontario: Unfortunately, there is no provision under Ontario Regulation 26/05 of the Travel Industry Act, 2002 for a consumer to claim on the Compensation Fund if they purchased travel services from an out-of-province travel agency. TICO can only recommend that you contact the travel agency you purchased from for further assistance.
There is a legislated six-month filing deadline for claims on the Compensation Fund. The filing deadline date is May 5, 2023. Claims received by TICO after the filing deadline date will not be valid.
Filing a claim against the Compensation Fund:
The legislation requires claimants to explore all other possible options for reimbursement as part of the claims process. Claimants who paid by credit card and who were charged by Active Journeys Inc. for their travel services not provided, are required to do the following:
- Contact their credit card company and dispute the Active Journeys Inc. charge and request a refund (credit/reversal of the charge on their account).
- If for some reason your credit card company refuses to provide you with a credit refund, you will be required to obtain a letter from the credit card company stating that a credit refund will not be provided.
- The letter from the credit card company must be submitted with your claim against the Compensation Fund.
- If you are unable to obtain a refund (chargeback) from your credit card company or obtain all the documentation required to substantiate your claim in a timely manner, please submit your claim form to TICO prior to the filing deadline date.
- Any additional documentation that is required to complete the claim can be sent to TICO when it is obtained.
For more information or clarification, contact TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.