TORONTO — Avalon Waterways is ramping up its Active & Discovery cruises for 2022 with two new voyages on the Moselle and Seine rivers.
Since launching Active & Discovery on the Danube River in 2017, Avalon has added these cruises to every major European waterway it sails, increasing its offerings by 600%. Next year, the company will be offering six Active & Discovery itineraries with 47 departures in total.
All Active & Discovery cruises feature a choice of Avalon Choice excursions: Active, Discovery and Classic. The average number of Avalon Choice excursions on these cruises is 22.
New Active & Discovery itineraries for 2022 include: Active & Discovery on the Moselle; and Active & Discovery on the Seine. These join four others already being offered: Active & Discovery in Holland & Belgium (added in 2021); Active & Discovery on the Rhône (2019); Active & Discovery on the Rhine (2018); and Active & Discovery on the Danube (2017).
The new eight-day ‘Active & Discovery on the Moselle’ features 21 Avalon Choice excursions, including:
- ACTIVE: Canoeing on the Moselle River; hiking up to Landshut Castle in Bernkastel; biking through the Moselle Valley near Cochem; open-air cable car ride and hiking through Rudesheim’s vineyards
- DISCOVERY: Wine-tasting in the Moselle Valley; a visit to one of Germany’s oldest mustard mills; a visit to a famous local brewery in Koblenz; a meet-and-greet with an apple orchard farmer
- CLASSIC: Exploring the streets of Cochem and an afternoon at Reichsburg Castle; a visit to the medieval marketplace of Bernkastel; a guided tour of Frankenstein castle
The new nine-day ‘Active & Discovery on the Seine’ features 23 Avalon Choice excursions, including:
- ACTIVE: A day in Le Havre on two wheels; kayaking along the Seine near Rouen; hiking up to the castle ruins of Château Gaillard; e-bike tour to the Château de Maisons-Lafitte
- DISCOVERY: Cocktail workshop in Palais Benedictine; a visit to the haunted Abbey de Mortemere; learning about the Normandy cheese trail; a visit to Chantilly Castle to learn how to prepare Chantilly cream
- CLASSIC: A visit to the WWII landing beaches of Normandy and the American Cemetery; walking tour of Rouen to learn about the history of Joan of Arc; walking tour of Auvers-sur-Oise to learn about Vincent van Gogh
Active & Discovery cruises are priced from $3,767 and sail on Avalon’s signature Suite Ships. They are also featured in Avalon’s new ‘Storyteller Series’ of sailings featuring celebrity hosts. Joining the lineup this year are Candace Bushnell, Cheryl Strayed, Gillian Flynn, Edwin McCain and more.
Clients who book now will receive free air from select Canadian gateways, plus save up to $1,300 per couple on select 2022 Avalon Waterways river cruises. For details click here.