TORONTO — Six months after Irma, the Caribbean island of Sint Maarten / Saint-Martin has seen 12 hotels and inns reopen on the Dutch side and 10 hotels and inns reopen on the French side.
The island’s roads are free of debris, several restaurants and shops have reopened, and beaches have been cleaned and reopened.
The main terminal at Princess Juliana International Airport continues to make do with a temporary terminal while the main terminal undergoes repairs. On the French side, Grand Case International Airport is open. Taxis service is available at both airports, and ferry service to St Barths and Anguilla is fully operational.
WIMCO Villas, which offers villa rentals in Saint-Martin in its global portfolio, has put together a list of what’s open and what’s re-opening soon in Saint-Martin and St. Maarten:
HOTELS OPEN (ST. MAARTEN)
- Simpson Bay: Atrium Beach Resort, Commodore Suites, Baker’s Suites, Travel Inn Hotel, Simpson Bay Suites, El Zafiro Boutique Hotel, Mary’s Boon Beach Plantation Resort
- Dawn Beach: Princess Heights Luxury Condo Hotel
- Philipsburg: Alicia’s Inn, Holland House Beach Hotel, Horizon View Beach Hotel
PROJECTED RE-OPENING DATES (ST. MAARTEN)
- The Belair Beach Hotel will open by the end of March 2018
- The Colombus Hotel will open at the end of April 2018
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort will re-open May 1 2018
- Sonesta Ocean Point Resort will open Aug. 31, 2018
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa is undergoing repairs and will open for the 2019 season
TOP RESTAURANTS & CASINOS OPEN (ST. MAARTEN)
- Simpson Bay: Little Bamboo, Toppers, Avantika, Buccaneers, Shiv Shakti, Sal & Pepe, Top Carrot, The Carrousel, Thai Savanna, Beirut, The Green House and Pineapple Pete
- Jump Up Casino in the town of Philipsburg
- The Hollywood Casino in Pelican
- The Princess Casino at Port de Plaisance
- Tropicana Casino in Cole Ba
HOTELS OPEN (SAINT-MARTIN)
- Grand Case: Bleu Emeraude Residence and Hever Hotel
- Sandy Ground: Mercure Saint Martin Marina and Spa Hotel
- Other: Le Beach, Les Balcons, Golfe Hotel, Shamrock residences, Adam & Eve residences, Mon Reve guesthouse
PROJECTED RE-OPENING DATES (SAINT-MARTIN)
- Hotel La Plantation will be having a soft opening April 16, 2018
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort will open with limited rooms in April 2018
- Grand Case Beach Club opening Oct. 1, 2018
- Le Petit Hotel will open June 1, 2018.
- Marquis Boutique Hotel opening June 2018
- Hotel L’Esplanade will open on Nov. 1, 2018
- Le Shambala Hotel will be open in November 2018
- Alamanda Resort will open November, 2018
- Belmond La Samanna Hotel will open late 2018
WIMCO Villas (wimco.com) reports that of the 114 private villas in its portfolio in Saint-Martin, 17 villas will available for rent starting in the first week of April. Select villas available for a spring vacation in St Martin including Villa Ambiance, Villa Blue Beach, and Villa Mumbai.
TOP RESTAURANTS OPEN (SAINT-MARTIN)
- Marigot – Bistro de la Mer, Le Patio, Le Grand Saint Martin, La Main a la Pate, Tropicana, O Plongeoir, Le Grillardin, Chez Polo, L’Arhawak, La Terrasse, Yacht Club
- Grand Case – La Villa Restaurant, Bistrot Caraibes, Cafe Spiga, Blue Martini, Rainbow Cafe, Les Bains, Max Place, Piazza Pascal, Spiga, La Villa
- Orient Bay – The Alamanda Kitchen and The Perch Beach Bar and Grille at Club Orient, Rancho del Sol, Cafe Plantation, L’Epicurien, Le P’tit Bistro
- Pinel Island – Karibuni
- Nettle Bay – Les Voiles
- Bellevue – Bistrot Da Vinci, La Fourchette, Le Gouter, Rice upon a time
- Port La Royale Marina – Crêperie du Lagon, La Main à la Pâte, La Source
- Saint James – Chez Dounce, You & Me
- Oyster Pond – BYZ, Mama Pizza, L’Oasis, La Petite Pause, Quaie Ouest
- Sandy Ground – Pizz’ Hayo
Many of the island’s top attractions are up and running such as snorkelling, charter boat cruises, zip lines and a new Eco-adventure park called Rain Forest Adventures.