Poll results from Travelweek’s COVID-19 Travel Agent Survey show that while many front-line agents are working overtime to keep up with all the C&Cs - counselling and cancellations - they’re also ...
MIAMI — Carnival has extended its suspension of operations through May 11, cancelling all sailings on all ships through and including that date. Carnival’s announcement follows similar moves made in recent days by NCL, Holland America, MSC, Seabourn, Cunard and more.
Carnival has also cancelled: all Alaska sailings through and including June 30; all San Francisco sailings through all of 2020; all Carnival Radiance sailings through and including Nov. 1, and all Carnival Legend sailings through and including Oct. 30.
Clients who previously booked on these sailings and cancelled on or after March 6 will be offered:
CRUISES 6+ DAYS – 100% future cruise credit plus US$600 onboard credit per stateroom for the next cruise if booked by Dec. 31, 2020 for a sailing departing by Dec. 31, 2022; or a 100% refund
CRUISES 5 DAYS OR LESS – 100% future cruise credit plus US$300 onboard credit per stateroom for the next cruise if booked by Dec. 31, 2020 for a sailing departing by Dec. 31, 2022; or a 100% refund
More details are at https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates.
Meanwhile two Carnival Corp. ships, Holland America Line’s Zaandam and Rotterdam, will be allowed to dock at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. Carnival Corp. has reached a conditional agreement with Florida authorities. The latest word was that Rotterdam was scheduled to dock today at 1 p.m., and Zaandam at 1:30 p.m.
Earlier the U.S. Coast Guard had said that all stranded cruise ships must stay at sea indefinitely.
According to reports there are 97 Canadians onboard the Zaandam and 150 onboard the Rotterdam. No coronavirus cases have been reported among the Canadian passengers.
In a statement on its website Holland America said: “We remain fully engaged with the Broward Unified Command and other governmental and embassy authorities to resolve this humanitarian situation and get the nearly 1,200 well guests home immediately who are fit for travel per guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
“Guests fit for travel per the CDC would transfer straight from the ship to flights for onward travel home, the majority on charter flights. Out of an abundance of caution, these guests will be transported in coaches that will be sanitized, with limited person-to-person contact and while wearing masks. These provisions well exceed what the CDC have advised is necessary for their travel. Guests have not left the ship since March 14 and have self-isolated in their staterooms since March 22.
“The approximately 45 guests who still have mild illness and are unfit to travel at this time will continue to isolate on board until recovered. Disembarkation would be at a later date to be determined and only after they have recovered and are in alignment with CDC guidelines for being fit to travel.
“For the estimated less than ten people who need immediate critical care shoreside, we have secured approval from a local health system partner that they will accept them for treatment. This small number is the only group that will require any support from medical resources in Broward County and is necessary to prevent further harm to their health.”
Earlier this week Holland America President Orlando Ashford released an op-ed piece asking state and federal authorities to allow the ships to dock, calling the situation a humanitarian crisis.
More ships are still at sea as borders have closed and entry restrictions have tightened amid the coronaries pandemic. One of the ships, Princess Cruises’ Coral Princess, is currently at sea and scheduled to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale on April 4.