Cruise ship with hundreds of suspected norovirus cases due in Halifax

Cruise ship with suspected norovirus cases due in Halifax

HALIFAX — A cruise ship carrying hundreds of people who became sick with a gastrointestinal illness is due to arrive in Halifax today for a port visit.

The Centers for Disease Control in the United States said Tuesday that about 280 people on board the Balmoral had contracted an illness suspected to be norovirus

But a spokeswoman with Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines says the majority of the passengers and crew have recovered.

Rachael Jackson said Tuesday that the number of people who had been asked to stay in their cabins had gone down to seven, out of 1,434 passengers and crew on board the Balmoral.

Lane Farguson of the Halifax Port Authority says they will do extra cleaning of the port facilities, paying special attention to railings, door handles and other objects that most people routinely touch.

The Balmoral arrived in Saint John, N.B., on Monday as part of a trip that started April 16 and ends May 20.

Norovirus illness can be serious, especially for young children and older adults.