OTTAWA — As expected the Canada-U.S. border will remain closed for at least another several weeks.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced this morning that the closure of the Canada-U.S. border has been extended by another 30 days.
Scheduled to reopen June 21, Trudeau said the closure has been extended to at least July 21.
Reports that the closure would be extended had been swirling for days.
“I can confirm that once again Canada and the U.S. have agreed to extend the closure of the border by 30 days, to July 21,” said Trudeau this morning.
“This is a decision that will protect people on both sides of the border.”
Trudeau also announced that the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) will be extended for another eight weeks.
“Our government will continue to be there for you,” he said. “We want to make sure all supports including the Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and unemployment insurance are there to help Canadians get back on their feet.”