MYRTLE BEACH — The fun and festivities that mark the annual CAN AM Days are now well underway, however a long list of Myrtle Beach area hotels, merchants and attractions offer discounts right through April 30, 2019 for travellers with a valid Canadian passport.
This year’s annual Canadian-American Days runs March 9 – 17, marking the 58th edition of this popular Myrtle Beach event.
The discounts aim to help Canadians make up the difference in the Canadian exchange rate. Starting at 25%, the discounts ramp up to as much as 55%.
Karen Riordan, President and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, says the late winter and early spring seasons in Myrtle Beach offer mild weather, more affordable accommodations and more elbow room at area attractions. “We have been a favourite destination for Canadian visitors for decades, and we want them to know that we appreciate them and welcome them to the Grand Strand,” says Riordan. “The special promotions for our Canadian neighbours provide even more incentive by bridging the gap in the exchange rate.”
Special offers for Canadians begin in January and in most cases continue through September, and in some cases, even longer. Here’s a sampling…
- Vacation Myrtle Beach Resorts – up to 55% off at on stays of 7 nights or longer, with a variety of oceanfront resorts with an array of amenities (through Sept. 21).
- Beach Cove Resort – Up to a 50% discount on stays 7 nights or longer. All-oceanfront accommodations, indoor pool, free W-Fi and more (through Sept. 21)
- Captain’s Quarters Oceanfront Resort – Up to 48% off stays 7 nights or longer! Indoor and outdoor pools, on-site bowling, free WiFi (through Sept. 21).
- The Caravelle Resort – Up to 48% off stays 7 nights or longer. Block-long poolscape, indoor pool, sun deck, oceanfront lawn, on-site dining (through Sept. 21). A massive renovation project at The Caravelle recently revamped hundreds of guest rooms, including the popular and unique Oceanfront Jacuzzi Suites. The resort’s top-rated Santa Maria Restaurant also got a refresh.
- Carolina Winds Resort – Up to a 52% off for stays 7 nights or longer. Indoor pool, oceanfront lawn, nearby tennis access (Feb. 12 – Sep. 21).
- Coral Beach Resort & Suites – 10% discount and $10 per night resort credit (March 1 – 31).
- Beach Colony Resort – Up to a 50% discount on stays 7 nights or longer. Indoor and seasonal outdoor pools, free WiFi (through Sept. 21).
- Crown Reef Beach Resort and Waterpark – Up to 50% off stays 7 nights or longer. On-site waterpark, indoor and outdoor pools, lazy river, game zone, oceanfront dining (through Sept. 21).
- Forest Dunes Resort – Up to 44% off stays 7 nights or longer! Quiet location on the Golden Mile, indoor and seasonal outdoor pool, exercise room ( Feb. 12 – Sept. 21).
- hotel BLUE – Up to 50% off stays 7 nights or longer. Indoor lazy river, outdoor whirlpool and pool, oceanfront access (through Sept. 21).
- Landmark Oceanfront Resort – Up to 48% off stays 7 nights or longer. Renovated indoor and outdoor pool deck, on-site dining, free WiFi, seasonal putt-putt (through Sept. 21).
- Ocean Creek Resort – Up to 55% off stays 7 nights or longer. A 57-acre gated resort with multiple pools, walking paths, natural creek, free WiFi (through Sept. 21).
- The Palace Resort – Up to 52% off stays 7 nights or longer. Whirlpools, seasonal outdoor pools (Feb. 12 – Sept. 21).
- Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort – $10 resort credit for each night (through April. 30).
- Sea Watch Resort – Up to 50% off stays 7 nights or longer. Multiple pools and whirlpools, lazy rivers, free WiFi (through Sept. 21).
Coupons are not needed to receive the discount; clients just need to show a valid Canadian ID. Special offers will continue to be added on the CAN AM promotions page where more detailed information, as well as restrictions, will be posted.
For lift, Porter Airlines has resumed its annual seasonal nonstop service from Billy Bishop Toronto City Centre Airport (YTZ) to Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR). The flights run through to May 19, twice weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays with more frequent flights during March Break. Porter Escapes offers ITC packages with air, accommodations and attractions to Myrtle Beach during this seasonal period.
Also WestJet Encore will offer its annual seasonal air service from Pearson to Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR) starting April 29 through to Oct. 27, twice per week on Mondays and Fridays.
Myrtle Beach continues to rank as one of the fastest-growing family and vacation destinations in the nation, attracting some 19 million visitors annually.
New activities and attractions include THEBlvd (theblvdmyrtle.com), completed in October 2018. The new 55,000-square-foot complex along the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk at 14th Avenue North is a brand new beach club that brings several new restaurants, retail stores and a live music venue to the area.
Other highlights include more shows and cast members for the GTS Theatre for 2019 (gtstheatre.com), and a new Grand Strand Arts Trail (theartsgrandstrand.org).
Meanwhile the Myrtle Beach Mall is set to get a makeover with the proposed opening of $15 million in new retail and restaurant space. Named ‘The District’, current plans include multiple waterfront restaurants and a boardwalk with a lighthouse and gazebo along the Intracoastal Waterway. And a new Topgolf is now open in Myrtle Beach inside a 38,382-square-foot building at 29th Ave.
Complimenting all the new restaurants opening up in Myrtle Beach, foodies can also take advantage of a new food tour option. Corina Whitehead, owner of Carolina Food Tours, plans to open new food tour locations in Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach and Conway in 2019. The guided food tours last between two and a half to three hours and include three to four restaurant stops along with historical background of the area. Tours are currently offered in Murrells Inlet, Georgetown and Pawley’s Island. Prices range from $70 to $100 a person (carolinafoodtours.com).
Canadian/International Sales Manager, Myrtle Beach Area CVB, Kimberly Hartley, reminds agents that the new 2019 Visitors Guide and 2019 Meeting Group Planner Guide have both arrived for distribution and agents can contact Envoy (envoynetworks.ca) to place their order or contact Hartley directly.
“Visitor Guides are ideal as a reference for travel agents and a take-along guide for consumer clients who are flying or driving to Myrtle Beach this year. The guide includes a pull-out map and discount coupons,” says Hartley.