Sandals issues statement in wake of Sandals Emerald Bay tragedy
Exuma, The Bahamas

Sandals issues statement in wake of Sandals Emerald Bay tragedy

TORONTO — Sandals Resorts has installed carbon monoxide detectors in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas, and will install detectors in all rooms across the resort chain, and has issued a statement after unconfirmed reports that carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of three deaths at the resort.

Three U.S. guests died at Sandals Emerald Bay on May 6, and a fourth was airlifted to hospital and later recovered.

Sandals says it retained environmental safety experts to conduct a systems overview at the resort. “Ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount,” said Sandals in a statement reported in The Washington Post and other outlets.

“We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest,” said Sandals.

“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play.”

Travel Week Logo

Get travel news right to your inbox!