TORONTO — If your clients want to visit the world’s most popular places, it’s going to cost them – or not.
Mastercard has revealed its latest Global Destination Cities Index, which identifies the top 10 cities that saw the most travellers in 2017. The index accumulated the number of overnight visitors in 162 cities last year, as well as the average amount of money travellers spent in-destination on accommodation, food, shopping, tours, transport and more.
Some cities proved to be quite affordable, while others (you can probably guess which ones) will set your clients back a pretty penny.
Here are the top 10:
1. Bangkok: 20.05 million overnight visitors, US$173 average daily spend
2. London: 19.83 visitors, $153 average daily spend
3. Paris: 17.44 million visitors, $301 average daily spend
4. Dubai: 15.79 million visitors, $537 average daily spend
5. Singapore: 13.91 million visitors, $286 average daily spend
6. New York City: 13.13 million visitors, $147 average daily spend
7. Kuala Lumpur: 12.58 million visitors, $124 average daily spend
8. Tokyo: 11.93 million visitors, $154 average daily spend
9. Istanbul: 10.70 million visitors, $108 average daily spend
10. Seoul: 9.54 million visitors, $181 average daily spend