Exodus Travels celebrates World Elephant Day with new documentary

SEATTLE — In celebration of World Elephant Day today, Exodus Travels has launched a new documentary that highlights elephant conservation efforts in Kenya.

Filmed and directed by Exodus’ own Olly Pemberton, ‘Living in the Land of the Tuskers’ follows the work being done by Kenyan conservation experts Tsavo Trust and the Tofauti Foundation to support the rollout of the Free to Roam elephant conservation project, which launched last year in Kenya’s Tsavo West National Park.

Funded through The Exodus Travels Foundation, the project aims to allow elephants and other wildlife to thrive by empowering Tsavo communities to give 90% of land back to nature, while increasing food security for the Kamungi Conservancy by delivering permaculture training for locals who own the remaining 10%. This buffer zone will hopefully form a peaceful co-existence between local wildlife and members of the surrounding community.

Exodus Travels celebrates World Elephant Day with new documentary

Kyalo Ndeto, a farm owner featured in the film, says he used to hate wildlife, especially elephants, as they would eat all his crops. Through this project however, he is now able to harvest 100% of what he plants and his attitude towards wildlife has completely shifted. “There are more benefits that could be realized from co-existing harmoniously with wildlife,” says Ndeto.

Patricia Sims, founder of World Elephant Day, which takes place today, Aug. 12, says that the ‘Free to Roam Project’ perfectly demonstrates how travel companies, conservation organizations and local communities can work together to achieve a peaceful and sustainable co-existence between wildlife and people.

“Live in the Land of the Tuskers is a thoughtful and moving short film about the Exodus Travels ‘Free to Roam Project’ that portrays the unique landscape and iconic wildlife of Tsavo and illustrates how the threats  of human-elephant conflict can be successfully mitigates when conservationists and rural communities come together for the mutual benefit of people and elephants.”

To watch the short film, click here.

Exodus Travels offers expert-led, small-group tours to see elephants, including:

  • Wildlife and Wilderness of Botswana: This 14-day adventure, priced from US$4,349 per person, follows the Okavango Delta and includes such highlights as Makgadikgadi Pans, the Savuti Marsh, the Moremi reserve and the Chobe River, known for having the highest concentration of elephants anywhere in the world.
  • The Zambezi Valley – Canoe Safari: This eight-day itinerary, priced from $2,479 per person, includes a canoe safari on the mighty Zambezi, camping on secluded beaches, and game walks and drives in the Chiawa Game Management Area.
  • Kenya and Tanzania Adventure: Priced from $5,849 per person, this 14-day tour explores the national parks in and around the Great Rift Valley and the Masai Mara. Guests will also get the chance to spot elephants at the Ngorongoro Crater and visit the spice island of Zanzibar.
  • Namibia and Botswana: Dunes & Delta. This 15-day tour visits Etosha National Park and the Okavango Delta and includes plenty of opportunities to spot elephants in the Mahango Naitonal Park and The Damaraland area. Other highlights include walking with the bushmen of the Kalahari and a visit to Sossusvlei, the world’s highest sand dunes.

For more information go to www.exodustravels.com.

Travel Week Logo

Get travel news right to your inbox!