TORONTO — Canada’s airlines have completed their repatriation flights from Cuba.
“Yesterday marked the final flights operated by Canadian airlines from Cuba. Thank you to all Canadian airline workers who helped bring more than 27,900 travellers safely back to Canada,” said Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand in an X post last night.
“If you are still in Cuba, commercial flights remain available through international airlines. Please consider departing while options are still available,” she added.
Updated advice for travel to Cuba from Global Affairs Canada notes that all Canadian airlines have suspended service to Cuba until further notice, and that while commercial flights remain available through international airlines, they may become limited on short notice. The federal government’s risk level for Cuba remains at orange, i.e. avoid non-essential travel.
As reported yesterday, tour operators have added new flights and more capacity to alternate sun destinations in the D.R., Mexico, Jamaica and more as thousands of Canadian vacationers rebook their winter getaways, especially for March Break. Strong demand and suddenly short supply has sent prices soaring.
In an article in The Globe and Mail posted today, TICO President Richard Smart said disruptions to Cuba travel amid the country’s fuel and supply shortages could last well into 2026. “I really don’t expect things to get better in Cuba after May 1,” Smart told the Globe. “And the tragic situation is, it’ll probably get worse.”
Last week the Cuba Tourist Board in Toronto penned an open letter, offering apologies and a heartfelt thank you to the travel industry.