With summer comes, for many of us, a bit of a slowdown (partly because our clients are away on trips we planned for them!)
Here are a few ideas for how to make the most of this slower period:
1. Set aside time to clean up and update your database. It’s your most important and powerful tool.
2. Update your online profiles. This includes your LinkedIn and Facebook pages, Instagram postings and any other outlet you are using to publicize yourself and your services – essentially, your personal brand. Review each: is photography up to date and all info, including references to your most recent or planned trip(s) there?
3. Upgrade your skills. Everyone’s host agency has a bank of webinars from your preferred suppliers. And virtually every supplier has their own. Promise yourself to dedicate at least one morning a week to honing your skills and knowledge.
4. Chances are your clients are in summer mode too. Invite your best one (or more than one) to a one-on-one lunch, ‘no strings attached’. It’ll be a great opportunity to re-connect casually get an update on his or her, their family news and personal interests so that – down the road – you can suggest the perfect holiday.
5. And if you are taking time off, don’t forget to let your clients know well in advance. Set expectations for them, e.g. ‘Please note I’ll be away August 26 to September 3 in sunny Jamaica and will be checking emails only once per day.’ That way they will (hopefully!) send their queries to you before or after your vacation, allowing you to truly enjoy your downtime.
Cheers and happy summer!
Lynda Sinclair, CTM, is the Senior Vice-President – Leisure at Vision Travel Solutions, which has an ever-expanding and vibrant program for independent agents. With over 30 years in the Canadian retail travel industry, Lynda says she “lives and breathes what goes on at the front line.” She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.