TORONTO — TICO has announced the closure of World Travel Inc. a Toronto-based travel agency that had its registration revoked as of Feb. 24, 2023.
According to TICO, it was found at the Licence Appeal Tribunal that Jenny Ai, the sole Director, Officer and Supervisor/Manager at World Travel Inc., would accept consumer funds to book airline tickets. However, the requested airline tickets were not booked and consumers were presented with falsified booking documents. World Travel Inc. failed to properly handle consumer funds held in trust, failed to comply with record-keeping obligations and did not cooperate with TICO inspectors.
As such, World Travel Inc. is no longer permitted to operate in Ontario.
For consumers affected by the closure of the agency:
- Verify your travel arrangements: Consumers who purchased travel services from World Travel Inc. and who are in possession of their airline tickets are asked to contact the airline(s) involved to confirm their travel arrangements. This includes consumers who began their travel prior to the closure of the travel agency and who may still be in destination.
Who can file a claim with the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation:
- Standard Claims (Consumers who have not travelled or have outstanding refunds): Consumers who purchased future travel services from World Travel Inc. and who do not have confirmed bookings, and consumers who have not received a refund for cancelled travel services, including due to the pandemic, may request a claim form from TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trip Completion Claims (Consumers who began their travel services prior to February 24, 2023, and are in destination): Consumers who incurred expenses in destination (transportation, accommodation and meals) to complete their travel plans due to travel services not provided as the result of the closure of World Travel Inc. may have an eligible Trip Completion Claim. Consumers may request a claim form at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email@example.com.
Note that there is a legislated six-month filing deadline for claims on the Compensation Fund. The filing deadline date is Aug. 25, 2023. Claims received by TICO after the filing date will not be valid.
Filing a claim against the Compensation Fund:
The legislation requires claimants to explore all other possible options for reimbursement as part of the claims process. Claimants who paid by credit card and who were charged by World Travel Inc. for their travel services not provided are required to do the following:
- Contact their credit card company and dispute the World Travel Inc. charge and request a refund (credit/reversal of the charge on their account).
- If for some reason your credit card company refuses to provide you with a credit refund, you will be required to obtain a letter from the credit card company stating that a credit refund will not be provided.
- The letter from the credit card company must be submitted with your claim against the Compensation Fund.
- If you are unable to obtain a refund (chargeback) from your credit card company or obtain all the documentation required to substantiate your claim in a timely manner, submit your claim form to TICO prior to the filing deadline date.
- Any additional documentation that is required to complete the claim can be sent to TICO when it is obtained.
For any questions or clarification, contact TICO at 1-888-451-8426 or (905) 624-6241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.