Over two months have passed since the March 1 deadline for travel agencies to become PCI DSS compliant. With the dust now settled, how are agents feeling about the whole process? Was it as ...
TORONTO — There has been improvement in the sewage-impacted area on the South Coast of Barbados, says Peter Mayers, Director, Barbados Tourism Marketing, Inc.
Mayers tells Travelweek that the Barbados Water Authority’s (BWA) series of emergency measures “have successfully put a stoppage to water flows on the streets as they work towards the final solution. This relief has been very well received by businesses and residences in the area who were previously affected.”
He says that “in response to the travel advisories issued by the U.S., Canada and the UK, the Ministry of Health reassures the public that all potable water has been monitored and there is no cause for alarm; also, the results of their recent investigations concluded that the quality of water on the beaches remains safe.”
He adds: “We at Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc. (BTMI) are pleased to share the significant progress that has been made. For many years Barbados has been revered as an island that provides safe, idyllic and memorable holidays for all. We are therefore anxiously looking forward to seeing this matter fully resolved and continuing our high standard of service and experience for our visitors.”
On Jan. 12 Travelweek reported that the Canadian government had updated its travel information for Barbados, advising that the South Coast of Barbados, between Hastings and St. Lawrence areas, was experiencing an overflow of raw sewage due to a mechanical breakdown.
An alert on the Government of Canada’s website, travel.gc.ca, currently advises Canadians travelling to Barbados to avoid the affected area and follow the instructions of local authorities.
The alert is at travel.gc.ca/destinations/barbados, listed under the Safety & Security tab.