Tuesday March 26, 2019
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Linkedin Linkedin Linkedin
The key is educating clients rather than selling to them
The key is educating clients rather than selling to them

The key is educating clients rather than selling to them

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

“Hello, what can I sell you today?” Is this what you would say to your customer?  No, of course not. You would ask, “How can I help you today?”

Times have changed and so have consumers. Many salespeople forget that there is a recognized selling process that, if followed, really works. It starts with listening to the client’s needs and then establishing a trusting relationship.

Many prospective clients will say they have some form of travel insurance, they believe the insurance is provided through their credit card, or they have it through work. It is up to you to educate these clients on their coverage. Most clients know what insurance is but not how it works. Take the time to help review not only what is covered but also review what is not covered.

Some travel insurance policies may have complex legal and policy language that clients simply do not understand. It is your responsibility to help the clients purchase the policy that is suitable for them, but also help navigate them through the nuances of the policy benefits, risks and exclusions.

More news:  Salviato joins Manulife as BDM for northern GTA

We believe selling/educating is a 70/30 split. You must listen to the client 70 % of the time then comment or ask questions the other 30% of the time. Make best use of your time to uncover the possible roadblocks clients may have as it relates to travel insurance coverage.

Consider asking a question like, “What will your credit card insurance pay for you if you miss your cruise because of a snow storm and the flights are cancelled?” Once you ask a question, wait for a reply. If your client does not know the answer to the question, you might want to explain that to them. If that coverage isn’t suitable for your client or what they were expecting, you might want to “state a benefit”. This benefit tells the client what your insurance product will do for them.

When purchasing a holiday, nobody wants to think that there could be cancellations, delays, lost baggage or even emergency medical issues at destination – that’s where you come in. You need to explain the policy in an easy to understand way. You must educate clients on the value of the policy. Value, when discussed, will encompass the benefits, risks and ease of process should the client be in a claim situation.

More news:  Salviato joins Manulife as BDM for northern GTA

So, how can I assist you today?

Note: These travel tips are for information purposes only and are in no way intended to replace your training, sales materials, professional judgment or otherwise.

Contact your Business Development Manager or email travelsalessupport@manulife.com

Tags: Manulife
Go to Learning Centre

Get travel news right to your inbox!